Let’s say we have a regular neural network that, recognizes images and we fitted this image (the one above).

The neural network guesses that the image has an 80% probability of being a dog, with a 15% of a wolf and 5% of being a fish. Now, what if this image was a wolf? How would the neural network know?

Imagine we’re watching a TV show about nature and the previous image before the wolf was a bear and the previous one was a fox.

Before we get into how this style transfer happens we first need to understand how CNNs work. In general, CNNs can look at images and learn to identify spatial patterns such as prominent colour and shapes.

Shapes a CNN would identify (left), colours that a CNN would identify (right)

The shapes and colours that define an image or any object in an image are often called features.

To preserve these features our CNN uses a convolutional layer. A convolutional layer applies different image filters also known as convolutional kernels to an input image.

Using a Neural Network to Classify Images to classify Images on the Fashion MNIST dataset.

If you are unfamiliar with neural networks, check out this article. It covers the different aspects to conceptually understand how neural networks. Here we are going to be applying this knowledge by actually building a neural network.

Below is a visual of a neural network. The basic structure goes as follows. In neural networks, we have input values (x₁ and x₂). We multiply them by their weights w₁ and w₂. …

A Neural Network is a computerized system that loosely models the brain. You could think of it as a network of neurons that takes an input and produces an output.

Now imagine we have a 28 x 28-pixel image that take handwritten images and classifies which number they are. We can see that the number below is a 9, but how can the neural network “learn” to classify these numbers.

In this image every pixel corresponds to a single neuron. Each of the 784 neurons has a grayscale value between 0 and 1. Where 0 is black and 1 is…

We have all experienced driving on bad roads, whether it be through potholes, road cracks, or a horrendous bumpy ride on the way to your favorite ice cream shop.

Example of a terrible road

In Canada and the United States, 43% of roads and highways show significant deterioration, and 15% are defined as barely serviceable, or in need of urgent replacement. To repair all of them, it would cost a combined total of $545 billion. Not to mention that around the world, potholes cause more than 42,000 deaths per year.

To put this into perspective, we are sending rocket ships to space, but we can’t…

Peter Thiel

Peter Thiel is a German-American billionaire entrepreneur and venture capitalist. A co-founder of PayPal, Palantir Technologies, and Founders Fund, he was the first outside investor in Facebook and an early in. This guy must have done something right to get to the place he is currently in. This article will highlight different strands of his philosophy for success as an entrepreneur.

1. Aim for a Monopoly

As you know a monopoly is meant when your company takes a large part of the market share, this usually happens because you have are the only one in the market, you have the best product functionality, or you…

Ever got into an argument with a friend about who was right? You kept fighting about some tiny meaningless detail that doesn’t even matter. Regardless of who was right, this scene is an example of the inability to accept the thoughts of others. Even when what the other person said is crazy, something like “Gravity is not real” (this example was obnoxious on purpose). The majority if not all of you would say that gravity is real, so you would probably end up dismissing the thought of the other person because you have conviction you are right but have we…

How are you? Really. Not “I’m fine,” or “I’m good,” or “I’m okay.” Does that really describe how you feel? The problem with this answer is it is not at all descriptive of how you are actually doing. With an answer like that can you really tell if someone is doing well? Probably not.

Emotions can often be a very difficult thing to control and rightly so. Your amygdala, which is your emotional control center, has been around longer than your ability to rationally think and contemplate things. …

breaking the ice and leaving an impression from a single question

When we meet people for the first time, we often are not sure how to start off conversation to have a meaningful conversation. We often go through small talk which is dreadful for everyone involved.

Remember all of those times you are in middle of a conversation and an awkward silence breaks loose? Both of you are internally panicking as you both say “um” and “uh” as you try to find something to continue your conversation.

In this situation people would often think that conversation was bad because the…

Before we try to understand this quantum algorithm, let’s understand what is the general purpose of a computer to see the significance of this algorithm.

A computer is a physical device that helps us process information by executing algorithms. An algorithm is a set of instructions given to a computer in order to solve a problem.

Algorithms are measured based on the number of resources that are used by a computer in order to solve a problem. Resources can be defined in two ways: time and space.

Time: how long it takes to perform the computation.

Space: Amount of memory…

Ahmed Hassan

16 yo TKS innovate wanting to give value to other people

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store